Carry the French look throughout your room and brighten a dark floor with a cheery sunflower-theme floorcloth. Paint your own custom floorcloth on the back of a vinyl floor covering for an easy approach that will wear well over time.
Gather Your Supplies
- Vinyl floor covering cut to desired
- Primer: Zinsser or Kilz, water-base or oil-base
- 2 smooth-surface paint rollers
- Plaid durable color: Vanilla #53302
- 2-inch-wide painter’s tape
- Plaid FolkArt acrylic colors: same as listed in Furniture instructions
- Artist’s brushes: same as listed in Furniture instructions
- Plaid FolkArt Artist’s Pigment colors: same as listed in Furniture instructions
- Plaid FolkArt floating medium #868<
- Tracing paper
- Graphite paper
- Plaid FolkArt wash medium #697
- Utility sponge
- Polyurethane sealer
Start to Finish
1. Cut vinyl floor covering to the desired size. Thoroughly clean the “wrong” side of the floor covering; this is the side you’ll paint. Apply primer to the entire surface area; let dry. Paint primed surface with two coats of Vanilla; let dry.
2. Using the painter’s tape, mask off a border 2 inches from the edge. Tape off another border 2 inches from the first line of tape. Then tape off 2-inch squares within the outside border. Paint the untaped squares on the outside border with SB. Paint the next 2-inch border with YO; let dry. Mix floating medium with BS and float a soft, translucent wash over the YO area. Let dry and remove all tape.
3. Trace the sunflower pattern from the pattern packet onto tracing paper. Referring to the photograph, page 28, for placement, transfer the patterns onto two opposite corners using graphite transfer paper. 4. Paint the leaves and sunflowers, referring to the instructions for Sunflower Leaves and Sunflowers in the Furniture instructions.
5. Add scrollwork using SB; let dry.
6. Create an antiquing mixture using
1 part BU and 3 parts wash medium. Sponge the mixture over the entire surface of the rug to create the illusion of age. Let dry 24 hours. Seal with polyurethane sealer, following the manufacturer’s instructions.